Sunday, June 28, 2009

When city, "flatlander" girls go hiking...

  After sliding down the mountain
  Tyler
  My chipmunk!
  Fishing
 Shooting
What a day!  Today we went to Ruby Mountain Brewery then to Angel Lake.  The Brewery was good. There was a Cardigan Corgi named Hank, a Newfoundland named Marli, and a Chocolate Lab named Drake.  Then we went to Angel Lake.  We fished for pretty much five minutes seeing as fishing takes patience(which I hardly ever have) and it is very tedious.  We had lunch and made friends with chipmunks, then we started the interesting part--hiking.

The first 10 or 15 minutes was uneventful and easy.  We went on the top of this big rock thing and took a bunch of pictures.  

Then things started getting complicated.  We went on and then had to cross a riverish thing.  Emily went, no problem, my mom went, no problem, and then I had to go.  I kept saying, "I can't do this.  I can't do this, Mom!" The more I said it the more she pushed me on.  Long story short, I fell in.  Luckily, only the bottom half of me got wet.  So I was wet the whole time.

We worked around the lake and then we went up this rock part-- something we would not want to go back down--very steep.  My mom dropped her camera on the rock, but, luckily, Emily got to it easily.

Next we were trying to find our way to the trail-- past a huge clump of "brush" and rocks.  Then we found Tyler, a local mountain man. 

She said, "Umm... hi!  Are you from around here?"

While he caught his breath, Emily and I acted all embarrassed.

He kinda glared and then said, "Well, sorta."

"Can you help us?  'Cause we aren't from around here.  Is there a trail up to there?"

"Uh, yeah.  Go straight up and to the right."

So we started heading up.  Pretty soon he started climbing a ways from us and my mom started calling to him.  Soon enough, we were all climbing up together, Tyler leading the pack, Emily bringing up the rear-- in her Havaianas, a big mistake.  *cue roll of eyes*

We had to hike, or more accurately crawl, through this brush.  We all felt like we were about to roll off the mountain, other than Mr. Mountain Man (Tyler).   After the mass of brush, we went through an area of rocks, which was extremely hard but uneventful.  

We continued following Tyler and went through more masses of brush, more masses of rock, and other difficult obstacles.  After a while we started going down.  Generally speaking, we "butted it"(we slid on our butts) all the way down the mountain.  At one point, we were holding on to trees and pulling ourselves down on a "mountain goat path".  Another time, we slid through *gulp* mountain goat poo.  Oh, joy.

After a while, we finally made it.  The last 5 or 10 minutes were super easy.  Finally, we said good-bye to "our hero", Tyler.  He told us that he was going to jump in the lake and catch some fish with his hands.  Not surprisingly, we went and got Starbucks.

That concludes our story, "When city, 'flatlander' girls go hiking..."





No comments: